1 - HISTORY
The Socio-Demographic area which precedent is the Socio-Demographic and Political Unit by a Resolution of Social Science Faculty Council in October 1992 began it´s activities in february 1993. On August, 6th the Council divides the Data Archive in three Areas:Economics-Economic History, Socio-Demographic, and Politics and International Relations.
2 - DEFINITION AND FUNCTIONS
The Data Archive of Social Science Faculty is a Central Service of technical character . Maintaning links with the Departments and the other Academical Units as well as all the members of Faculty Council, throughout storing and processing qualitative and quantitative information, technical assistence and technological advise.
The Data Archive must execute the following tasks:
- To store, systematize and process data basis which were resolved to be constructed, data produced or processed by Faculty services, other university dependencies, other public or private institutions, national or foreign, as well as international organizations, relevant for learning, research and extension of Faculty.
- To connect and exchange with other national and international Data Archives.
- To assist the users technically about collecting, storing and processing data.
- Acquisition and capacitation about using appropriate informatic applications to obtain, store and treat other information for Social Sciences.
- To adecuate the data basis constructed, so that they can be accessible to the members of Social Faculty Council.
3 - ORGANIZATIONAL AFFILIATION
This area forms part of Social Sciences Faculty Data Archive – University of the Republic. Hierarchically depends of the Dean.
4 - DATA HOLDINGS
The Data Archive covers the following areas: Economical activity, Nutrition, Census, Social Levels, Cooperativism, Culture, Demography, Human Rights, Drugs, Education, Elections, Enterprises, Household Surveys, Family Governments, Industries, Chilhood, Regional Integration, Social Integration, Youth Media, Social Movements, Women, Workers’ Organizations, Social Participation, Political Parties, Justice, Budget, Privatizations, Professions, Recreations, Religion, Health, Sexuality, Labour, Democracy, University, Urbanism, Housing, Rural Sociology.
We are receivers for agreement of microdata files and administrative registrations made in Uruguay by:
- National Institute of Statistics: Household Surveys; Population, Household and Housing Censuses.
- Ministry of Agriculture and Fishing: Agricultural General Censuses.
- Forensic Technical Institute of the Courts: Statistics of Prosecutions.
- National Institute of the Minor: Studies of Population and Centres of Attention.
- Ministry of Public Health: Vital Statistics.
- Ministry of the Interior: Statistical annual about violence and crime rate.
- Statistical division of the General Direction of Planning of the University Republic.
- Program of Integration of Irregular Establishments: Censuses of Housings and Homes in process of regularization.
- ANEP (National Administration of Public Education) -PISA (Programme for International Student Assessment) programs
Each record contains information about:
- principal investigator (name/s and/or organization)
- research questions (description)
- study title
- spatial coverage
- geographical levels covered (city, department, nation, region)
- study population (description)
- time period
- subject terms
- bibliographic citation
- funding agency (individual, organization)
- concepts (explorer, individual, group)
- questionnaire design date
- questionnaire design responsibility
- questions (No., listing or questionnaire)
- questionnaire translation date
- questionnaire translation responsibility
- translated questions
- sampling date
- sampling responsibility
- sampling description
- data collection date
- data collection responsibility
- mode of collection (face to face interview, telephone interview, email interview, CATI, CAPI, paper pencil self-completed questionnaire, web based sell-completed questionnaire, CASI, ACASI, coding, transcription, compilation, synthesis, recording, simulation, observation, experiments, focus group)
- FCSBD study Nº
- total variables
- variables (labels list)
- physical data description (character set: ascii, efcdic, utf-8, variable position: start, width or end)
- data file
- Additional documents (published and unpublished works, etc.)
- total cases
- study abstract
- data type
- access and availability
5 - COVERAGE
The area stores and proccesses national and foreign information of the following disciplines: Sociology, Social Work and Demography.
6 - SERVING POLICIES
The area stores data and metadata from Faculty and other institutions. Meanwhile the first is regulated by a Resolution of the Council, the second can be consulted by non-restriction.
The demand must be adjunted to the following accessibility conditions:
- free without restrictions
- free until determinated date
- free but notifying the authors
- free but only for Faculty members
- only with authors’ consent
- paying the authors
- only for statistics procedures carried out in the area
If the depositor of the information requests it, a contract can be established to rule the diffusion and use of the information.
We distinguish three types of users:
From Faculty members: Free use for students, researchers and graduates, but with special prohibition for using the information for commercial purposes. The requestors must complete the petition and retirement forms: teachers or students.
From other Faculties, Ruled by exchange with the Data Archive.
From non-members of the University, Where are distinghished the members of non-profit institutions of those which maintain a lucrative activity. The first ones are assimilated to the members of othe Faculties. The second ones must pay for the use of the information. There is no restrinction for foreign users.
The external users of Social Sciences Faculty can ask for information by mail but their application should be approved by the Dean. They’ll must sign a commitment about use of data.
7 - DATA ARCHIVE DEPOSIT
Any researchers can deposit their data in magnetic archives (numeric basis, tables, interviews, etc). The information will be maintained by the maximum precaution and standarized in such a way to facilitate it use for other users. They will be obliged to mention the author and the research where the data is becoming from. The depositary will have therefore the opportunity to be useful for the development of the research and teaching with information which is difficult to find after a first exploitation. If you have any information to offer, please, complete our form, send it to our mail address, with your data.
8 - INTEGRATION
The Unit counts with the following members:
|Oscar Roba Stuart||Coordinatorfirstname.lastname@example.org|
Tel. (598) 24 10 67 30 (333-534-535)
Address: Constituyente 1502 p. 3º
Postal Code: 11200